Full written recipe for Dahi Papdi Chaat
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
Serves: 4-6 people
● Maida (refined flour) 2 cups
● Ajwain (carom seeds) ½ tsp
● Salt ½ tsp
● Ghee 4 tbsp
● Water as required
● In a mixing bowl add refined flour, semolina, ajwain, salt and ghee, mix well and incorporate the ghee into the flour.
● Add water slowly and gradually to knead a semi stiff dough. Knead the dough for at least 2-3 minutes.
● Cover it with a damp cloth and rest it for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile you can make chutneys.
● Knead the dough once again after the rest. You can make the papdi in two ways, one by dividing the dough into small lemon size equal roundels, further apply some oil and roll into 2-inch diameter individually. Prick with fork on the entire surface and you can fry them, another way is, which is much time saving, divide the dough into medium size dough ball and apply some oil and roll into thin big chapati, cut in 3-inch diameter using a cookie cutter or a jar lid, further prick using a fork on the entire surface.
● Set oil in wok and heat until it’s moderately hot, fry these papdi on low flame until its crisp & golden brown. Remove it on absorbent paper or a sieve to get rid of excess oil.
● Fry all the papdis in same way, super crisp papdis are ready, you can store them in an airtight container.
● Hara dhaniya (coriander leaves) 1 cup (packed)
● Pudina (fresh mint leaves) ½ cup (packed)
● Adrak (ginger) 1 inch
● Teekhi hari mirchi (spicy green chillies) 2-3 nos.
● Jeera (cumin) powder 1 tsp
● Amchur (dry mango) powder 1 tsp
● Kala namak (black salt) ½ tsp
● Roasted Chana dal 1 tbsp
● Salt to taste
● Ice cubes 2-3 nos.
● Water as required
● Add all the ingredients in a grinding jar and grind into a fine chutney, store this in refrigerator and use accordingly.
Sweet tamarind chutney
● Tamarind (imli) ½ cup
● Seedless dates (khajoor) 150 gm
● Jaggery 1 kg
● Jeera powder 1 tbsp
● Kashmiri red chilli powder 1 tbsp
● Dry ginger powder ½ tsp
● Black salt 1 tsp
● Black pepper a pinch
● Salt to taste
● Water 750 ml
● Soak the imli and khajoor separately in hot water for 15-20 minutes, further squeeze the imli to remove the pulp.
● Transfer the imli pulp and soaked khajoor in a mixer grinder and grind to a fine paste.
● Now, take a wok and, strain the grinded imli & khajoor pulp through a sieve, further, add jaggery, and the remaining powdered spices along with salt & pepper. Switch on the flame & let the jaggery melt.
● As and when you start to cook, a layer of scum will form, remove the scum with a spoon and cook the chutney for 30 minutes on medium flame, while stirring occasionally.
● Cook until the chutney has reached a thin syrup like consistency. Switch off the flame and allow it to cool down, do not cook for too long as it will thicken a bit as it cools down.
● Sweet tamarind chutney is ready, as this chutney takes time for cooking, you can make them in bulk and store them in a well sterilized & airtight jar and refrigerate them for couple of days. Use accordingly.
Special spice mix
● Jeera (cumin seeds) 5 tbsp
● Sabut kaali mirch (black pepper) 2 tbsp
● Teekhi lal mirchi (spicy red chillies) 4-5 nos.
● Ajwain (carom seeds) 1 tbsp
● Salt a large pinch
● Kala namak (black salt) 1 tbsp
● Chaat masala 1 tsp
● Set a pan on low heat, add the jeera and dry roast until it darkens in colour and is aromatic, transfer on a plate to cool down.
● Further add the remaining whole spices and dry roast them as well until they are aromatic. Further transfer them on the same plate and allow them to cool down.
● Once cooled, transfer in a grinding jar, along with the remaining ingredients and grind to make a fine powder, special spice mix or dahi bhalla wali masala is ready, store in an airtight container and use accordingly.
● Dahi 4 cups
● Powdered sugar 2 tbsp
● Black salt 1 tbsp
● Boiled potatoes
● Crispy fried papdi
● Spicy green chutney
● Sweet tamarind chutney
● Special spice mix
● Pomegranate seeds
● Firstly, add the curd, powdered sugar & black salt in a sieve, strain while mixing well and keep the curd mixture aside to be used later in making the papdi chaat.
● Dip the crispy papdi in dahi mixture, top it with boiled potatoes, sprinkle the special spice mix, top the chutneys, some more dahi and finish it with pomegranate seeds. You can tweak the addition of topping on your palate preference.
#YFL #SanjyotKeer #Chaat
The Music I use in All my videos –
(Best for independent creators)
Follow us on all platforms:
Follow my personal handles here: (Chef Sanjyot Keer)