Skin, muscle, fat, and bone constitute the major structural elements of the human face. Many of the obvious indications of ageing are caused by the loss of volume in these structures as our age increases.
When we age, the jawline may retract, the nose may descend, and high cheekbones may eventually disappear due to age-linked bone loss. The volume and flexibility of the facial muscles gradually deteriorate, and the movement and deflation of facial fat emphasise the ageing process even more. Finally, as we age, our skin stretches as well as loses elasticity. This is combined with the loss of the support that fat, bone, and muscle once supplied. This results in wrinkles, drooping skin, and other discernible indications of ageing.
Dermal fillers are gel-like, soft substances that can be injected under your skin. They are used to reduce facial wrinkles and restore the fullness and volume of the face. Dermal fillers are used for a variety of cosmetic applications, including:
- Enhancing shallow contours
- Plumping thin lips
- Lifting of the cheekbones
- Improving the look of indented scars
- Softening facial wrinkles and creases
- Smoothening nasolabial folds
- Removing or decreasing under-eye shadows or circles
- Reconstructing facial contour deformities
- Rejuvenation of hands
There are different types of dermal fillers, both naturally occurring and synthetic. The naturally occurring ones are those produced in our own bodies. In some cases, healthcare professionals use a procedure called “autologous fat grafting.” In this procedure, the fat from some parts of the body is removed and injected into the face.
The different types of dermal fillers include:
- Hyaluronic acid: an acid naturally occurring in the skin that keeps the skin hydrated and gives it volume.
- Polymethylmethacrylate: a filler with collagen balls that keeps the skin firm and gives it volume.
- Calcium hydroxylapatite: a filler used for really deep wrinkles.
Advantages of injecting dermal fillers
Dermal fillers are an easy way to minimise the signs of ageing without going through costly surgical procedures. It has numerous advantages, including:
- The results of injecting dermal fillers can be seen soon, in just about a week. It can also last a long time with proper care.
- Hyaluronic acid, used in dermal fillers, can help increase the production of elastin and collagen. This will further make your skin look younger and more beautiful.
- Dermal fillers can be used in conjunction with other treatments such as Botox injections. This will allow you to get youthful skin without having to go through invasive surgeries like skin grafting or a facelift.
- There is a minimal amount of risk involved with the procedure. The few side effects that may crop up after the procedure disappear in a few days. When the procedure is done by a skilled and experienced practitioner, the long-term risks are almost non-existent.
- Since the procedure does not require any recovery time, you can easily get it done without disrupting your daily schedule.
Side effects of injecting dermal fillers
Injecting dermal fillers rarely causes any serious complications. But they can cause some temporary side effects in people. These side effects include:
- asymmetrical appearance
- redness, bruising, pain, bleeding and swelling
- itching and rashes
- damage to the skin, causing scars
- bumps or lumps under the skin
- skin infection
- skin necrosis in serious cases
- pimples that resemble acne
Very rarely, people have complained about vision issues after a dermal filler procedure. In such cases, it is advisable to seek immediate medical assistance. Vascular occlusion is also a serious issue that requires medical intervention. In this, the skin around the injected region may turn blue, and in severe cases, black due to lack of blood flow. This can cause the skin to die. To avoid this, it is advisable to seek medical help as soon as you notice it.
Long-term use of dermal fillers can cause some adverse effects like weakening of the head, neck, and facial muscles. It can also have some complications like difficulty with swallowing, vocal cord issues, and eye problems, most commonly double vision.
Tips to ensure you are injected with safe dermal fillers
By following a few simple tips, you can ensure that the dermal filler injected into you is safe and lasts a long time. Some of them include:
- Always ensure that the healthcare professionals you have selected are qualified and experienced. Make sure that they are trained to conduct the procedure. You should also ensure that the facility uses government-approved, properly labelled and sealed vials.
- Before beginning the procedure, carefully read all the patient labelling information on the vials to ensure that the healthcare professional is using the approved fillers.
- Always have a thorough knowledge of the possible side effects and risks of the kind of dermal filler used. You should also clarify all your doubts regarding the procedure with the healthcare professional before the start of it.
- Try not to buy fillers that are available in shops or without prescriptions. It is highly possible that they may be fake and cause more damage than good.
- Do not try to do the procedure by yourself. Always take the help of an experienced professional.
One of the major pitfalls concerning dermal filler procedures is the flourishing black market. Since the procedure is a bit expensive, people try to reduce the expenses by taking advantage of the black market. The dermal fillers purchased through the internet or black market can be harmful, fake, or contaminated. There is a big possibility that the products sold through these means are non-sterile, causing infections, allergies, and skin necrosis. Some people may even attempt to do the procedure by themselves. Such improper injection methods can cause numerous serious complications, like blindness.
Dermal fillers are a non-invasive, safe, and practical choice for people looking to give themselves a boost in looks, confidence, and self-esteem. They give amazing results with zero recovery time, making it one of the go-to procedures for numerous beauty-conscious people facing age-related skin issues. Dermal filler injection procedures done by skilled and experienced healthcare professionals are safe and have minimal side effects. It is also crucial to choose the appropriate dermatologist in order to use the dermal fillers Gold Coast long-term without any issues.